Home Care Services Funding

If you have care needs, the local authority can help fund some or all of the costs. All you need to do is contact your local Adult Social Services department, then they will come out and assess your needs to see if you are eligible for home care funding.

NHS Personal Health Budget

Health care services can be expensive, especially if you are suffering from a long-term condition or disability requiring you to seek regular support and home care services. Since October 2014, adults and children receiving NHS Continuing Healthcare have been able to to receive a Personal Health Budget funded by the NHS. This scheme aims to financially help and assist patients by providing them with personal budget allocations based on their condition and health care needs by allowing them to seek the assistance and care services that best suits them.


First only piloted across the UK, these personal care budgets have now been rolled out nationally, as concerns grew about patients’ abilities to be more involved in the choices and decisions directly related to their personal care and the care they receive.

This budget, which will be agreed upon by yourself and your GP can be used to help fund the necessary home and domiciliary care services you chose, hereby making sure you get the best support you have chosen. It will be based around your care support plan, which will be determined by your local NHS team.

How you decide to spend your personal health budget is ultimately up to you, as long as it is spent for health care support, treatments and equipment, or personal care such as the care services provided by Sova Healthcare, consistently with the goals outlined in your personal care plan. This does not include emergency care services or your GP fees, which will not need to be paid from this budget. One your personal health budget plan has been decided, you will be able to choose between 3 different ways to manage your money:

Option One - A "notional" budget, ensuring no money will be changing hands.
Option Two - A "real budget" can be held by a third party, to ease responsibilities.
Option Three - A direct payment can be made.
Previous slide
Next slide

Continuing Care

Continuing Care is arranged and funded by the NHS. The care provided can take place outside the hospital in any setting, for example, the client’s home or care home. The person must have complex needs and substantial ongoing care needs to be eligible. For further information on Continuing Care.

Home Care Funding -Direct Payments

You may be entitled to direct payments from social services. Direct payments are cash payments given to the service users who have been assessed as needing community care services, they give the individual more choice in who they want as their carer. The payment must be sufficient to enable the service user to purchase services to meet their eligible needs, and must be spent on services that meet eligible needs. Find out more about Direct Payments.

State Benefits for Home Care Services

  • Attendance Allowance – AA is not means tested, it is available for those aged over 65 and have care needs due to mental or physical disabilities. Find out more about Attendance Allowance

  • Disability Allowance – Disability Living Allowance is similar to Attendance Allowance but is only available to those aged from 16 to 64 and need help with walking or personal care, and who have physical or mental disability. DLA has been replaced with a new benefit call Personal Independence Payment, it is designed to help you meet some of the extra costs you may have because of a long-term health condition or disability. Find out more about Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment.

Paying Privately?

If you do not qualify for any social care funding you can pay for your care services privately. If you are already eligible for home care funding you may wish to pay privately for a few extra hours or a top up to support your existing care support plan.

If you feel you need further help or advice on funding or benefits options available to you, please call our office on 0800 688 8866 to speak to our Specialist Benefit Advisor.