Finding the right home care agency and care workers for your loved ones can be a difficult task. We have put together a useful list of the right questions to ask when searching for home care services, knowing the right questions to ask can make all the difference to ensure you are making the right decision.
About the care workers the agency provides:
- Do you carry out background checks on your care workers?
- Do you carry out a DBS?
- What type of qualifications do your caregivers have and do they receive regular training?
- Do you require your care workers to have a minimum amount of experience?
- What type of training do they receive and how often is this updated?
- Are your caregivers insured through your agency?
- What is your reference policy for your care workers? Are they required to give at least 2 written references?
- Will my relative have a regular care worker?
- What if a care worker is unable to make it due to ill health or bad weather conditions?
- Will records be kept? I.e for the care that has been given and the time spent?
- Do you provide copies of these records if requested?
About your relative’s needs
- Will you be conducting your own assessment before offering a care plan? And what will this assessment consist of?
- Will the needs be matched to the most suitable carer?
- Will we be able to request a different care worker if the one provided isn’t suitable?
- What happens in the event of a medical emergency? How is this usually dealt with?
- If a care worker requires a key to access my relatives home, how will you ensure this is kept safe and secure?
General questions about the agency:
- How long has your agency been providing home care services? (ask more specifically about the type of care your relative requires)
- What are your charges for the services required?
- Can we get a copy of the standard contract of work with private clients?
- Do you have a standard contract for work with private clients? Can we see a copy?
- Are your care workers/agency regulated? And by whom?
- Is there any additional charges on weekends/bank holidays? Is care provided on these days?
- What type of insurance do you have? Does this just cover your care workers or my relative as well?
- Are services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week? Is management available 24/7?
- Can I talk to references that have used your services recently?
- Is it possible to have a trial period.
At Sova Healthcare we are passionate about providing the best service possible to you and your relative, if you have any questions regarding our agency, the care workers or any other general questions please do not hesitate to contact us today